Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Stigma of Autism

Autism.  That is a heavy word.  Many look at anyone with this diagnosis as something less.  My oldest has a formal diagnosis of High Functioning Autism, and yet prefer to use the older term of Asperger's.  I believe that those with Autism are, in fact, MORE than the rest of us.  So, why do I avoid the term?

I avoid using it because, most don't believe the way I do.  I don't want C-note to be seen as less.  He's different.  Behind his differences he has an intelligence that is WAY beyond his age.  He is a being of pure logic.  He is able to put information together in ways that astound me.  Does any of this sound like a person that is less than the rest of us?  He does have a hard time with abstract thought, like pretend play and reading facial expressions.  But, that is ok, his brain is too busy with  all of the thoughts that are CONSTANTLY running through his head and organizing those thoughts.

My son has High Functioning Autism and he is so much MORE than I could have ever hoped for.  Having a child diagnosed with autism, or having autism yourself is nothing to be ashamed of; in fact, it is something to be proud of.  Those on the spectrum are capable of much deeper thought because more of their brain power is dedicated to a single purpose.  I want my son to own his autism.  He is amazing and so is everyone else who is on the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment