Wednesday, January 28, 2015

It's the little things

Those with Asperger's are special in ways that can only be imagined.  They are so intelligent and book smart, but have trouble putting together many of the smaller, every day connections.  My husband and son prove this to me on a daily basis.

The latest example was from C-note.  He has been reading about other cultures.  One of the things that came up was that some cultures eat various food while it is still alive.  After I explained what cruel meant, he had to know why it was cruel.  C-note is not a mean boy.  He never wants to hurt another living creature.  His trouble came in because that creature is already going to be food, what difference does it make?

I don't think that I was able to answer him to his satisfaction, but he did become very thoughtful and moved on.  I may not always be able to answer his questions in ways that he will understand, because his brain doesn't see things in the same way.   My hope, is that later, he will be able to apply our other discussions and make the right decisions, even when he doesn't understand why it is the correct one.

No comments:

Post a Comment