Sunday, February 1, 2015

Food Allergies

We have a lot of food allergies in my house.  My biggest one is seafood.  Lil' Bit however, is allergic to wheat (NOT gluten), eggs, casein and whey.  As I've mentioned before, her reactions happen in the digestive system.  She will get lower back pain and every other symptom of a urinary tract infection.  Since she still wears a pullup while sleeping, she also gets small sores all over her behind.

When she was first diagnosed, our pediatrician recommended only pulling out all dairy, and checking labels for casein and whey.  That also means not just cow milk, but ANY milk from an animal.  We were also told to avoid coconut milk, as that has proteins that can mimic cow protein.  Luckily, Lil' Bit is a fabulous eater and only missed her cheese and yogurt.

We went on this way for several months.  Her symptoms almost went away, but not completely.  She hardly ever has eggs, so we knew that wheat was causing more trouble.  This was going to be tough.  We eat a LOT of wheat here.  Yes, we had limited hers, but now, what to do....

I am not a good cook. In fact, I despise cooking.  But, now I really don't have a choice.  Go to your grocery store, read some ingredient lists, things may be gluten and wheat free but rarely are they gluten, dairy AND egg free.  That is a very tall order!  You can even look at a package of taco seasoning and find whey, it's commonly used as a thickener.

Upcoming, I will be posting new recipes that will satisfy a wide variety of palettes while remaining as allergy free as possible.  It's is truly insane the differences in tastes in my house.  Recipes will include spice blends, mild main dishes that can be spruced up at the table per individual and allergy free items.  As I said, I hate cooking, so these will all be simple, yet tasty.  



No comments:

Post a Comment