Sunday, December 28, 2014

It IS ok to leave your church

I struggled with whether or not to write about this, but I think that I should.  My husband and I recently made the decision to leave our church.  This was an extremely difficult decision.  We have been heavily involved in our church for 5 years.

No church is ever perfect.  No person is ever perfect.  I will not go into details about why we left, that isn't what is important here.  What is important is the way we left.

When we left we made sure that we left under good terms.  These are our Christian brothers and sisters; our friends.  We don't always agree with them, but they are family.  We will see these people again.  What does it say about us and the work that God is doing in our lives if we cause strife within the God's family?

After I talked with our pastors wife about leaving the church, even though I was bawling like a baby, I felt peace to my inner core.  A weight was lifted that I didn't even know I carried.  If it wasn't God's direction, I would have felt worse, not better, after we spoke.  I had no idea that I was even carrying that heaviness.

A church as a whole isn't supposed to make you wish it weren't Sunday...again.  Church is a place to fuel your connection with God.  It is a place to praise Him and learn more about Him.  It it stops being that for you, then I would encourage you to look at what is taking away from that.  If you believe that God wants you elsewhere, consider moving on.  If there is a stumbling block for you, whether it is a person, or a prevalent belief in the church, move on.

We are currently looking for a new church.  And if you are considering changing your church, evaluate what is driving you to that decision.  If God is the reason, then go.  Don't abandon church though.  God is faithful, he will lead you to where you need to be.  It may not be as quickly as we want, but His timing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment